Re: Doorknob caps...

to: Chris

No, those are electrolytic DC filter caps.  A "doorknob" would be between
the HV DC diode - after the flyback - and between the rectifier diode and
the picture  tube.  In older Zeniths it is in the metal mesh "cage" with the

The flyback can be used as a small 10-15 kV DC power supply with a current
rating of 1/2-1 mA.



-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 6:09 PM
Subject: Doorknob caps...

>Original Poster: "chris morgan" <crmorgan-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>I took apart an old Zenith the other day and the only thing close to HV
>caps I could find was 2 caps rated at 470uF and 200V (dosn't say AC or
>DC)Are these doorknob caps?  If not, what should I be looking for?
>These look like rolled caps, and mesure 1" diameter by 1 1/2" high.
>Also, what can I do w/ the flyback transformer?
>Chris, via the inter-thingy
>Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail-dot-com