[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coupling constant for 4.25" secondary

My secondary is a 4.33" and my coupling coeff. is about 0.125 (estimated
from the oscilloscope pictures).

Anyway, eventually, the optimal coupling coeff. value depends only on the
value of the natural oscillating frequencies of primary and secondary
circuits. The key is the value of the so-called "tuning ratio" T.

You can learn about it e.g. in the paper that Terry posted a while ago:

tdes.zip - PCX scans- "Tesla Transformer Design and Application in
Insulator Testing" by Phung, Blackburn, Sheely, and James  1991

That is the coupling coeff. value that gives you the highest voltage
developed. Still nobody knows if your coil will stand it, the RSG will
quench fast enough, etc.

So your "optimal" value can be different from the one that gives you the
highest potential :)

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com on 13.03.99 19:01:33