[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rotery for neons

>Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
>Only use a synch RSG with a NST.   If you use a non-synchro with it's higher
>rep rate you will quickly destroy your NST.
>
>Regards,
>
>Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net

While I agree that only sync RSG's (or static gaps) should be used with
NST's, I disagree with your explanation why.

The problem with non-sync RSG's is that if gap contact alignments
(presentations) do not occur at peak cap voltages and the cap is not
always discharged every half-cycle, the cap voltage will build to
destructively high values, due to hitting 60 Hz resonance with the NST's
secondary.

The NST will charge the cap at a rate determined solely by it's
reactance, and it doesn't matter how frequently the cap is discharged.

Corrections welcome,
Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA