[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_Okay,_cap_discharge_time_isn=B4t_really_?= valid for TC usage.

Hi Reinhard and all

If you were to use an H-Bridge gap any left over
energy would be added to the next discharge, as
the cap is pulse charged to the opposite polarity
at every presentation.

I think, though, by time the gaps open there isn't
much left. A one foot diameter gap using 1/2 inch
electrodes at 3600 RPM can't mechanically quench
in under 660 us by which time all is done if there
is any spark at all. Even with no breakout my 8"
secondary rings down in 700 us. So you are left
with whatever voltage the gap quenches at.

GL, I believe used heroic mechanical means to force
a quench at 130 us. Still a 100 kHz coil will ring up
in 50 us at the modest couplings we typically use.

LR