[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac as sync gap tuner?

> Well, I put up such a circuit into PSpice last night. I placed an inductor in
> series (variac) with the motor load and a 1k resistor and 100uF cap to
> ground in
> parallel with the motor load. I put voltage markers on each side of the
> line and
> load. Varying the inductor from 1mH to 100mH, I could get almost 45 degree
> phase
> shift. I'll try it today on my sync gap and report. Seems like it should
> work. I
> am more curious if the motor will stay in sync as a voltage drop will be
placed
> across the RC combo. I used these values because I have the components on
hand.

> Bart

I tried it out today. Not a whole lot of luck. I could change the phase only
slightly before the sync rotory began falling out of sync. When this occurred,
the
motor had a slow pulsating motion. As I increased L, the pulsing increased in
frequency. Going further caused a large load to be dropped across the variac. I
still think this is possible, but there are probably better ways to go about
it.

Bart