[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re. Partial Discharges.....A good reason for cap failure?

Hi Reinhard:

The phenomenon you describe is exactly what took out my last rolled poly
cap.  Scott Hanson did some microscopic analysis of a sample of my failed
cap's poly dielectric.  He sent me a photo of the poly just beyond the
foil edge towards the margin, and all along that foil edge was this
characteristic branching etching pattern.

I've appended this photo to the capacitor page on my web site:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm

Regards, Gary