[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Elementary Lecture??

Thanks for the replies.  The simplest questions elicit the most complex
explanations!

I still must "Tesla with knowledge" next Tuesday for a bunch of 10 year old
humans without basic physics.  At least during the "Atomic Age" kids
intrinsically recognized the electron as that  elliptical spinning thing
plastered on all their Space Age consumer goods!  I'm worried that, in these
"Post-Modern" times, most children won't understand *anything* without
explicit
explanation,  so I will buy a "plasma globe" (snicker) from ta neighborhood
store
to evoke the basic concepts.

I have the opportunity to shape young lives  (well, couple of the nerdier
ones...) and feel a responsibility to teach truth.  I've already told Teacher
that no simple combination of physical laws definitively explains Tesla coils,
and she feels that her students will see this theoretical dissonance as
exciting
vs. off-putting.  Perhaps one of them will distill the ultimate equation!

If any of you science demo guys has an explanation of the coil's activity that
would satisfy the inquisitive 5th grader, I' d still love to hear it.

Thank You.