[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Phantom Arcs

Hi,

> A long time ago, when I first began experiementing with Tesla coils, I
> noticed something unusual from one of my experiements. Strange, dim,
> very profuse, thick, white arcs visible only in the dark that gave no
> sensation when touched.

I have also seen this type of effect from a small bipolar type coil.
It was running from a car ignition coil (output ~30kV at 5mA).The
coil was running at around 1.6MHz.

I was trying to duplicate some of tesla's research using carbrundum
in a small glass vaccum.

I had to small metal plates connected to the terminals of the coil,
and upon starting it up there were some very faintly glowing
streamers flowing between the two.  This was much more impressive in
the dark.

I did some experiments on these and found that they seemed sensitive
to magnetic fields and often vanished when a small barmagnet was
close by.  I tried to measure the current from one of these
streamers, but could not detect anything.

I will try to get back that coil and try some more experiments, I'll
post any results.

Dave

AP7012-at-qmw.ac.uk or dave-at-g7uvw.freeserve.co.uk