[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV wiring

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Tesla List wrote:

> Just to let everyone know, my step son received first place at his science
> fair and is advancing on to the regional science fair on March 27th.  We'll
> keep you posted.

Congradulations!

> Also, what is it that most of you use as HV leads and wiring on your TC's?
> Like the lines runnig from your Xfmr, etc.  On my step son's coil I used 12
> ga stranded, insulated wire fed through vinyl tubing.

I use 8 AWG stranded, PVC insutation. It's designed for car audio
applications and is VERY flexable and easy to work with. The correct ring
terminals are crimped on the ends for quick and easy connections. I don't
use more insulation, I just keep the runs away from everything else, it
seems to work fine. The only exception is the connection to the primary, I
use hose clamps for that, and just clamp the stripped wire to the copper
tubing primary.

> Another question I have is how do most of you run the wire from the top of
> the secondary to the toroid?  How do you attach it?  Is each case
> different?  The reason I ask, on my step son's coil we used a brass coated
> door knob, the wire ran from the top of the form right to the center of the
> upper cap and attached to the door knob.  The only problem was the corona
> and arcs off of the wire before it got to the knob.  Is this a sign of
> something else?

I just run it up there and tape it down with aluminum tape (any hardware
store has it).

The problem you are having with corona could be that your topload is not
big enough to prevent breakout, so your wire has extra power available.
Try a aluminum dryer duct bent in a circle (more tape to hold it) to make
a toriod. Start small and work your way up. I'm using a 4" diamater tube
with about 14" diamater center-to-center spacing on the toriod on my 6"
coil.. I think I need a bigger one.

Travis