[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Math Doodling

Hi David and list

Your doodling may answer Finn's query about the low primary inductance in
bigger coils.

If V_in = I_in * sqrt(Lp/Cp)

a low Lp will result in a higher I_in for a fixed V_in and Cp.

If V_out = I_in * sqrt(Ls/Cp)

then V_out will be larger as a result of that higher I_in. Also, a larger
coil has a 'relatively' larger Ls which would again increase V_out.

Safe coiling,

Gavin Hubbard

P.S. If spark length really does depend on V_in, then perhaps I will
someday have a use for my 150kV X-ray power supply unit *grin*.