tube thing?

I found this odd looking tube (I think) and was wandering if anyone know
what it is. All I know about it is this:
It has a piece of metal inside one end that says "RAYTHEON" on it.
There is a large heavy metal cylinder in the middle and a heater on the
other end with 3 pins, 2 are used.