[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Many Things...

In a message dated 7/30/99 4:13:02 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  I appreciate yours and others responses on this as it's been somewhat of a
>  vexing issue to resolve. If I still lived in Florida, this wouldn't be a
>  problem
>  at all. Sinking a rod most places in Florida is a breeze and chances are
> real
>  good you'll hit water at a very minimum depth.
>
>  Don

Hi Don,
   This is from another Colorado coiler.   Nice to know there are more that
are not just in the Denver area.   I hope you can solve your grounding issue
without too much difficulty.  From what I have seen, there are areas in the
San Luis Valley where there is a lot a salt that leaches out of the soil and
precipitates above the soil surface.  This may increase the conductivity if
you wet the ground where your RF ground is thoroughly before running your
coil.
    I take it that you do not have a well for your water supply.  That would
be an easy way to make your ground connection.    If you have to drive in
ground rods, maybe you can use several shorter rods connected with copper or
aluminum strap.   One book I read said that multiple ground rods should be
spaced about ten feet apart else they will be within the influence of each
other and will be less effective.  This book also said that you could improve
the conductivity of the ground by digging a trence around the ground rod(s)
and placing a salt, such a table salt or epsom salt in the trench and
watering the soil prior to use.  I would think that epsom salt is a better
choice as it is less corrosive than table salt and less damaging to the
plants in the vicinity.  You may not need to worry about this if the soil is
conductive from the natural salts already
   If you think it would help, I will be passing through your area Labor Day
weekend and could bring a "Megger" ground tester.  I could drop it off on my
way to Albuquerque and pick it up on my way back home.   I have not used this
tester ever, but it supposedly is in good working order.  I may have time to
check it out before I go to Alb, but don't know for sure.  I seem to be a
busy guy lately :o)
Hope this helps,
Mike