[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tesla Coil Photography

Hi Terry:

I think your problems are:
1)	The handheld camera is too unsteady and causes blurring.  A tripod
is a must.
2)	Film speed is too slow and/or aperture is too small.  I use 200
speed film at /f 2.8.  400 speed should be fine too, perhaps better as you
can use a smaller aperture and get a better depth of field.  I've never
tried 1000 speed.  You may get great depth of field, but it will probably be
very grainy.  Never use automatic exposure.
3)	Ambient light washes out the sparks, and unbalanced
(florescent/incandescent) lights lend a yucky tint.  I think photos should
have enough light to show the coil itself, not just sparks coming from
blackness.  Light from the spark gap, particularly if taken indoors with
reflective walls and ceilings, should provide ample, balanced, ambient
light.
4)	I also use a Minolta X700, on "B", with a shutter release cable.
Exposure times are not at all critical unless ambient light levels are high,
in which case everything will be overexposed.  The spark gap will always be
overexposed, that's a given.  You should NOT use UV or other filters as they
may cause reflections within the lens and you'll see ghost images of the
spark gap.  Mostly the difference in exposure times will affect the number
of arcs seen in the photo - a Medusa head for long exposures, or 1-2
streamers for shorter exposures.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA