[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ignition coil Plasma ball (how to get better results?)

I agree that SCRs work better, there is no doubt about that.  The problem
with that is that I have no SCRs whatsoever, and no money to buy them with.
I do however have LARGE quantities of 3055's.  I acquired these at no cost
to me.

I built this circuit and was getting some *unreal* results from just one
ignition
coil.  The problem is I can't find a power supply able to put out the
current I
will need for two of them.  Currently, I am using an old computer power
supply's
12V, 8amp wire.  I'm pulling 7, and with only one ignition coil I've been
able to
get sparks almost 2 inches long, thick, and white hot.  Too an earth
grounded
rod the "sparks" become an arc.

I had thought that a switching power supply would not last long in this time
of
RF conditioning.  I've placed a 100,000uF capacitor and a varistor across
the
supply between the PS and the driver circuit.  I don't have an accurate way
measure any RF kickback that might be occuring, but I ran this setup for one
FULL hour nonstop yesterday.  The 3055 ran cool all the time, as it is
mounted
on a VERY large heatsink.  In fact, the 555 got warmer than anything else!

Since it is easy for me to simply pull one 3055 out of the socket and put
another
one in, and that I have only used ONE for an hour nonstop, I think I will
proceed
with using them.

3055's, being rated at 15A, should be able to handle two icoils in
antiparrallel.
This should pull around 12-13 amps, correct?  Also, by placing the coils in
"anti-parrellel", won't I essentially be making the HV tap on one positive,
while the
other is negative, doubling the output voltages and potentially the length
as well?

Few more quickies :

I would like to go ahead and build a small tesla coil out of this, just to
say I did.
What recommendations for secondary size and primary size/type does anyone
have?

What capacitor value?  Spark gaps, etc.

For those of you interested, I have the schematic and info to this page
at my page :
http://www.harvestcomm-dot-net/personal/corr/fb/fb.htm

I do not have any pics of my new setup, they should be up tomorrow or the
next day.