[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RCR Filter question, LTR question

<<

 --
> Ross Overstreet >>

Ross,

I have not been able to draw more true power into an NST using LTR's
compared with reso-caps.  In fact, at 120V (normal rated V) into the
NST, only the reso-caps were able to draw more than rated power.
The NST drew about double the rated power with reso-caps at 120V
input.  With LTR caps, I had to turn up the input power to 140V input
to draw double the power.  LTR systems run with a somewhat poor
power factor, so a typical ammeter will show a large current draw,
but much of the power is just apparent power.  In my work, I haven't
seen any evidence that the LTR caps can give longer sparks from
an NST than reso caps can.  Using a 12kV, 30ma NST, I obtained 42"
sparks using either LTR, or reso-caps.  The LTR's produce a smaller
voltage rise at the NST output however, so they are less abusive to
the NST.

Cheers,
John Freau