[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC Cap Papers and MMC Life Prediction

--- Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Reinhard,
>
> At 04:14 PM 7/11/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >Hi Terry,
> >
> >Thanks for all your work on MMC life prediction.
> Your
> >newest HTML file really proves the gut feel I had
> about
> >those WIMA FKP-1 33nF/6kVdc/700Vac caps. They
> >arenīt worth a darn, which is what I also told the
> GTL
> >gang, but... they went ahead and ordered them (and
> >caught me off gaurd) anyway. The 100nF/1600Vdc
> >/650Vac would have been a *MUCH* better buy. My
> >present MMC setup (with those cheaply bought) ERO
> >caps has a life prediction of around 2000hrs (of
> which
> >there are now "only" 1996.5 left ;o}).
>
> Of course, this MMC cap thing is in its early stages
> and we knew there
> would be a learning curve.  The big 6000 volt caps
> do have high current
> handling.  Also their rated AC voltage is probably
> around 800 volts.  I
> though a number of other things would catch up to us
> before the corona
> voltage thing, but it is proving to be pretty
> important...
>

> >Very interesting papers, I must say. I DO have to
> >disagree with one thing you wrote, tho:
> >
> >> Original Poster: Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
> >> Hi All,
> >
> >Sniptīcha
> >
> >> primary systems.  Since the length of the output
> arcs is proportional
> >>to the input voltage, there is always a desire to
> use as much primary
> >>voltage as possible.
> >
> >NO, NO and once more NO!! ;o) I have proved this
> with my 8" coil.
> >The length of the output sparks is NOT (!!!) soley
> dependant on
> >the input voltage. Otherwise, how would I be
> getting 63" sparks
> >from a 7500V NST -at-1275VA? I consider the
> "need-for-high-
> >voltage" story to be other one of those myths.
> True, there are
> >limits (either low or high), but it is NOT
> necessary to use high
> >voltages for long spark lengths. Both low and high
> voltage
> >systems (AND vice versa for the current) have their
> advantages
> >and their disadvantages. I think it is safe to say
> the spark length
> >depends almost purely on how much raw power you
> shovel into
> >the coil (VA, BPS, J must all be considered), but
> if you build
> >two systems with equal power (VA, BPS, J) and one
> having a
> >15kV xformer and the other being powered by a 7500V
> xformer,
> >there will be no (or only very little) difference
> in output arc length.
> >Of course there are other things, which determine
> [...]
--------
Hi Tcoilers,
I must add something here guys.Terry obviously thought of parallel
growth of energy (~UU) and voltage square.And he is right.But many
things determine arc lenght(not just energy!)...R.Hull had
discovered,for example ,that very high breaking rates short the arc
lenghts despite total energy sometimes grows in such operations.On the
other hand,in my country (Croatia),in 70s T.Bosanac and his team built
monster 400 KW classical coil...After reaching some 50 feet in sky arc
would stop for a moment,went fat,and sometimes even explode without
more progressing in path...I DO NOT claim that this would happen with
every so powered system except here...Bosanac told me he had photos of
arc going upwards ,than stop,and finally turned back way to his coil
starting point.Explanation of that phenomenon is beyond simple
"electricity thing"..

Regards to all,
Boris