[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: UK MMC mounting

Hi all

My thoughts on MMC cap mounting:
I plan to get some thin walled 4" diameter PVC \ poly pipe and cutting it
in half
axially.I will then drill 1mm holes for the leads in the pipe so that the
strings
of caps are inside the pipe with the leads and connections and resistors
outside.

I am planning on going completely over the top with these caps - I have 200
coming :-) (cheers Alan). I want my caps to last an age and am hoping to
use them
for a maggie, so they need to be able to take abuse.
Once all the caps are in place and connected I will put the two halves of pipe
back together and fix with cable ties or some such. This pipe will be covered
with a (just) larger diameter pipe to insulate the exposed connections. The
purpose of mounting the caps in the pipe is so that a fan \ blower can be
mounted
on the end to cool the caps (yeah I know its probably OTT). I also plan to
mount
an RQ spark gap on the same axis so that the air will be pulled through the
caps
then the gap. Shall I attempt some ASCII art? Oh go on then......

used fixed width font to view

          External protective \ insulating pipe

   __________________________________     |       RQ Gap
  / |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| /\    |_________________________
 /                                 (  )     (__________(
(         CAP PIPE                  \/                   ---->  FAN
 \   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _  /        __________  ---->  HERE
  \ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |(      __(_________(_____________
   \________________________________\     |
__________________________________________|

        _
|_| or | | = cap

Phew......

So at the end of the day I should have a combined cap \ gap assembly which
should
be reliable, cool - running and safe. The connections between cap and gap are
also kept short. A smaller diameter pipe with end caps could be put in the
middle
of the cap pipe to increase air flow around the caps. It also shouldn't
take too
long to take apart, but hopefully I won't need to ;-)

Thoughts, comments, ridicule?

steve crawshaw

--
Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 27867352 or,
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center: