[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rebuilding NST

Oil will make it better able to stand HV duty, but it can probably stand dry
running. 2 shunt plates is probably OK, but I wouldn't take out any more. (My
personal opinion, based on what I know about inductors--I'm not a transformer
expert)

About your other question, the relative position of the secondary and primary
has nothing to do with current rating, as long as they're on the same core.
Removing the shunts allows more flux to flow through the core, which means the
current limiting is reduced, which means more current out. If you remove too
many, either the core will saturate, which means it's magnetized as much as it
can be, and wastes a lot of energy (the input current starts to go up like
a x^3
function when it hits saturation, with essentially no change in output), or the
wire could overheat. The effect of the core's saturating is that a given core
can only take so much power through it.

            --Doug Brunner
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>