[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Now,How does a coil really work

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Michael Tucknott <Michael.Tucknott-at-virgin-dot-net>
>
> Hi Bart and all
>
> Thanks for the  good answer to my qustion about break rate.
> Now
>
> >BTW, it's quite easy to improperly set up a rotary gap system such that
> >the mechanical break rate (the rate at which you have successive
> >electrode presentations)
>
> So how do you do this with a non synchronous rotory gap setup.
>
> And if the gap does not fire as the flying electrods are lined up with
> the stationary will this extra cap charging time/current put extra
> stress on the cap???
>
> Cheers Mike Tucknott
> "He tames the thundering bolt of jove and annihilates time and space"
> Nikola Tesla 1906
>
> http://freespace.virgin-dot-net/michael.tucknott/index.html

Mike,

If the charging current is not high enough, or if the total gap length
is set too widely you'll get "misses" as you attempt to increase the
breakrate. This can occur for either a synchronous or asynchronous
rotary gap. Generally, this will not be a problem except for the case
where your tank cap and the effective inductance of your power source
are resonant at the mains frequency, and your nominal breakrate is set
to occur only once every half-cycle of incoming AC. If you "miss" under
these conditions, resonant rise (at the mains frequency) may cause
excessive voltage across either your tank cap or your HV transformer.
Now most TC design programs size the tank cap size and NST so that they
will resonate at the mains frequency, so this will place your NST at
risk when using a rotary gap (especially an asynchronous one).

-- Bert --