[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: to quench or not too quench!

A non-quenched gap is a gap where the air is allowed to deionize on its
own.
In a quenched gap, the arc is "blown out" by either a blast of air or a
magnetic field. The advantage of a quenched gap is in larger coils (750
VA or
above, generally), where it allows a higher break rate, as the gap can
be
refired sooner without causing a continuous arc. This is needed because
without some quench mechanism, the gap would have to be more elaborate,
and
rotary gaps would be needed at a lower power.

--
           --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>