[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Now, How does a coil really work??

> I will believe that the primary circuit experiences LC resonance (that is
what
> we want, if I understand it correctly) and that this will increase the
amount
> of energy available in the primary in comparison to a single shot from
the cap
> to the primary coil w/o resonance (i.e: a simple discharge of a charged cap
> into a certain coil with little or no LC resonance occuring).

	Wrong.  The energy is initially stored in the primary capacitor and is
transferred to the secondary during the time the gap is closed.
Resonance in no way increases the amount of energy.

> I will also believe that in order to transfer as much energy as possible you
> will want the secondary to resonate at the same FRes as the primary.
>
> However, the way I understand resonant rise (maybe this is incorrect ??) is
> that the output energy of the coil will be greater than what you "stuff"
into
> the primary. This would violate the energy conservation laws and I donīt see
> how this is possible.

	Wrong.  The best one can achieve is 100% energy transfer, at which
condition the peak voltage at the secondary will equal the peak primary
voltage times the square root of the ratio of primary capacitance to
secondary capacitance.

> I can not see how you can store a charge on the coil (alone).

	Energy is stored in the magnetic field of the coil, and at any instant
is equal to 1/2 Li^2, where L is the inductance and i is the current.

> The toroid is a
> totally different matter.

	The only difference is that the stored energy is is equal to
1/2 Cv^2, where C is the capacitance and v is the voltage.  The
oscillation of the secondary voltage represents a periodic exchange of
stored energy between the inductor and the capacitor.

Ed