[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Opinions on hv and lv proximity sought

In a message dated 1/19/99 6:45:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Original Poster: dferguso-at-ebmail.gdeb-dot-com
>
>  if the neons are mounted in close proximity to the primary coil, wouldn't
>  the primary affect the windings of the neon transformer(s) during operation
>  similar to how it affects secondary coil ?? it would seem that the primary
>  would induct, or couple, with any coils in close proximity, not just the
>  secondary coil. - thanks , doug

If the neon sign transformers are mounted too close under the primary (within
a foot or so I suppose), it should act like any other stray metal in this area
and rob power from the primary.  I either mount mine under the coil platform
24" or more below the primary or a few feet out of reach of the sparks for the
table top variety.

Ed Sonderman