From: Tesla List +ADw-tesla+AEA-pupman-dot-com+AD4-
To: tesla+AEA-pupman-dot-com +ADw-tesla+AEA-pupman-dot-com+AD4-
Date: Monday, January 04, 1999 4:49 PM
Subject: QUENCH TIMES

Original Poster: +ACI-Marco Denicolai+ACI-
+ADw-Marco.Denicolai+AEA-tellabs.fi+AD4-

I am designing a TC with a 62 kHz oscillating frequency. As I would
like to
quench at the first notch with a rotary gap, I supposed I can set my
coupling coeff. so that the first notch will come after about 5
oscillations at 62 kHz. That makes about 80 us to reach the first
notch.

So the quest is how to achieve such a short quenching time.

+AD4-From available literature I found that a spark can possibly form when
the
electric field exeeds 40 kV/cm and surely forms when it exeeds 70
kV/cm.
So, if you write down how the stationary and rotating electrode
distance
evolves with time, and calculate the time the electric field is
greater
than 40 kV/cm, you should get a rough figure of your quench time.

I did that and for a peak voltage of 60 kV, rotating speed of 6000
rpm,
rotor diameter of 12+ACI- I got a quench time of over 500 us (+ACE-). Because
cannot reasonably increase either speed or rotor diameter, I took the
book's solution and designed to insert a static spark gap in series
with
the rotary one.

By doing that I plan to decrease the voltage at the RSG down to 15 kV:
that
way the theoretical quench time drops down to 100 us, that gives at
least
some hope to achieve the required 80 us.

I was thinking to use a high resistance voltage divider to have 15 kV
on
the RSG and 45 kV on the static gap. The static gap would be a series
of
sections, to easily set its trigger voltage. The voltage divider
should
also remove a part of the randomness involved in air gap trigger
voltage.

Any suggestions or comments about the above story?

Thanks to everybody.