[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design .

  Ed -

  The "pelletron" website was interesting but did not contain any
information on work regarding the VDG. I also was not able to find any info
for VDG work on any other site or in physics and engineering texts. I wonder
if anyone has ever considered this problem. Have you found info on VDGs that
mentions work involved? It appears to be complex and to require a lot of
empirical data from real world VDGs.

  I believe understanding about the work required to charge the VDG terminal
would help in undestanding the work involved with charging the Tesla coil
terminal.

  In your description "that as the belt moves up etc" cannot be possible
because there is no charge on the inside of the terminal to repel the charge
on the belt. No charge inside the terminal is the electrical magic that
surprised Faraday. If the belt was on the outside of the terminal the
charges would repel as you stated but that is not what happens.

  You say that the "belt backed away". That could indicate a possible
repelling effect but not necessarily an increasing repelling effect with an
increasing terminal voltage.

  It is obvious the work to get the charge on the VDG terminal must come
from somewhere. This work appears to be in the form of belt friction
creating electrical charges or from a separate power supply. The electrical
friction would be a load on the belt motor but would be a very small part of
the total motor load. This electrical friction load would be a constant so
would not slow up the motor as the voltage on the terminal increases. If
there is a separate power supply there would be no electrical friction load
on the belt motor. The work to charge the terminal would come from the power
supply.

  Determining the electrical input for the motor would be easy but
determining the part needed for the charging load may be impossible. It is,
however, possible to determine the work to charge the terminal by   Work = Q
x V   where Q is in coulombs.

  Note that I have not been able to verify the above VDG work theory in any
text.

  Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I also am limited by my eyes as to
time at the computer screen.

  John Couture