[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Elementary Lecture

On 02/26/99 06:38:23 you wrote:

>Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
>to: Dave Hartwick
>
>It's not magic -- it's physics.  A Tesla coil produces "displacement
>currents" in air because the air represents a dielectric while the terminal
>represents a plate of a capacitor.  The second plate is represented by
>isotropic capacitance and plate to ground capacitance of nearby room walls,
>etc.  A displacement current has unique and different properties than normal
>air to ground currents which produce the wandering spark phenomonea of Tesla
>oscillators.
>
>You might read some early Maxwell for good descriptions of displacement
>currents.
>
>Regards,
>
>Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net

2/26/99

While it's true Maxwell created the myth of "displacement current" in a
dielectric, he did so
only to enable his theories to work.  Maxwell never demonstrated or proved
that displacement
currents exist in a dielectric.  Neither has anyone else to my knowledge.
Dielectrics have been
studied with exquisitely sensitive Squid devices and to date no
displacement currents have
ever been found to exist.

The question posed is a good one and deserves an answer.  However, I
believe it is not
explainable with current displacement theory.  It is true that TCs
represent two capacitor
plates and air dielectric between, as pointed out above.  The air
dielectric is constantly being
charged by constantly varying electrostatic fields.  As gas ionization
takes place conductive
discharge channels are formed which readily conduct electrical discharges.
These discharges are
electrodynamic and do conduct current both to ground and to the
electrostatic field in the
surrounding local environment.  This electrostatic discharge mechanism is
the same for van de
Graf generators or natural lightning.  It all starts out as an
electrostatic thing.

As an aside, the term "electrostatic" is a very outdated misnomer in the
context of Tesla
coils.  These TC ES fields are anything but static in that their amplitudes
constantly vary and
field polarity reverses twice during each cycle.  Varying ES fields are not
the same as
electromagnetic fields also surrounding TCs.  The two field types coexist
concommitantly and do
not interfere with each other.

Richard Wall