[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how big a spark should I expect

Jeff,
We have almost the same set up. Mine is 15K/60mA, 16 turn inverse
conical primary (1/4" copper tubing), 4"X23" toroid. I get 32" - 36"
sparks. You mention two .01 caps in series - this would mean you're
getting only .005uF in total capacitance - half the required amount. Is
this right? Or do you have two in series for a total of .01uF? Also,
what size toroid do you have? The bigger, the better sparks. Lastly,
what style spark gap are you using? Mine is RQ design - 6" PVC with 8
sections of 1-1/4" copper tubing spaced at .040 each for a total gap of
.28". I have a muffin fan mounted on top which helps the quench. I've
substituted a shop vac for the fan yesterday, and got a little better
spark. I also found my gap works best with 2 of the gaps shorted
together, so I'm really only running a total gap size of .20.

Hope this helps,
Bob Volk