[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wire size for 8.5" coil

In a message dated 2/17/99 10:59:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I'm looking for a second opinion, comments, and general kibbitzing of
>  the wire for my planned 8" coil.
>  I can either wind with 21AWG, or 20AWG (looks like mouser has spools
>  of both that will allow continuous winds for what I plan) The question is:
>  Which is better?
>  Proposed specs for
>  21AWG:
>  34" winding (appox 1150 turns, 2500ft wire)
>  Cap: 0.03
>  Topload: 6x32
>  Primary: 10.5 ID, 1/4 spacing, 1/4 tubing, tapped around 14 turns
>  Computed frequency, loaded: ~90Khz
>
>  For
>  20AWG:
>  34" winding( approx 1000 turns, 2200ft wire)
>  Cap: 0.03
>  Topload 6x32
>  Primary: 10.5 ID, 1/4 spacing, 1/4 tubing, tapped around 12 turns
>  Computed frequency, loaded: ~101Khz
>
>  All parameters are up for tweaking: Suggestions beyond wire type welcome.
>
>  Note: My power source is a 14.4KV 5KVA pig, ballasted by a Lincon stick
>  welder.
>  I've used it to run my 6" coil out to about 55" arcs (more possible, if I
>  up my cap I am sure, as well as move outside. Current cap is only 0.015)
>  Former will be green 8.5" OD PVC Sewer pipe, treated with polyurethane
>  in the normal fashion.
>
>  The wire I am thinking of using is the NYSOL 130C, with the nylon overcoat
>  [or kapton.. I suspect the latter, it does say polyimide in the catalog]
>

>  Michael Baumann
>  Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net

Michael,

Your present coil and power supply sound similar to mine.  My personal opinion
for your new project:  go with the # 20 awg wire, use 3/8" or 1/2" tubing for
the
primary (wound flat), use a minimum of .03 uf you could easily use .05 uf
(which
I do) and last, you could use quite a bit larger toroid.  Sounds like fun.
Good
luck.

Ed Sonderman