[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: break-rate/power tests over weekend

<<
> John, interesting test results. You have designed a variable, synchronous
> RSG, correct? I would be interested in the construction details, if
> possible. I am still using a neon on my Resonator and my CP cap is only
> rated at 120PPS in Tesla coil service, but would like to build a RSP. I was
> wondering how one synchronizes the RSG to fire at the peak of the AC
> waveform, any details from the list members on the best construction
> materials and details would be great.

> Regards,

> David Trimmell

David,

I didn't mention it in the post, but I used a different gap for the higher-
than-120 bps work.  But I've done enough cross-checking with my
various rotary gaps to know that it's not affecting the results in any
meaningful way.

A sync rotary must have means for shifting the mechanical phase
of the rotor to match the incoming ac phase.  This can be done by
rotating the motor in a cradle, or rotating the electrode assembly,
or by shifting the relative position of the rotor on the motor shaft.
A synchronous motor can be purchased, or an induction motor
can be modified to make it synchronous, details in the archives.

John Freau