[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pri to Sec capacitive coupling

Hi All,

	I measure the capacitance from my primary coil to my secondary coil at
55pF.  That seems high to me but I don't think I am doing anything wrong.
Of course, all external connections are removed for the measurement.

	This brings up the effects that mutual CAPACITIVE coupling may have in
Tesla coil operation.  We all always talk of inductive coupling but never
of capacitive coupling.

	In my system (center grounded tap neon), the primary coil is floating in
such a way that as the starting turns on the primary are going negative,
the outer turns or going positive.  Perhaps this cancels the effects that
such capacitive coupling would have.  However, if one were to ground one
end of the primary I would thing this would start to significantly affect
coupling?

	Just a thought...

	Terry