[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG problems, help please?

<<
> Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong!
> It's taken me nearly 4 months to build this thing!

>        Thanks   Martin Dale  TCBON   Nottingham UK

Martin,

The gaps may be too wide at 8 to 10 mils,  I have to use about
3 mils with similar caps, voltages, etc.  You can quickly test this
by jumpering across most of the series gaps.  Leave the spacing
the way it is and just use 2 or 4 gaps for this test, and see if the
performance improves.

Also, 800 BPS is kind of a high break-rate, and will make it even
harder to charge the caps to a high enough voltage (depending on
how much power you have available).  If this is a variable speed
gap, try 300 to 400 BPS, or lower, and see if it helps.  Then
ballast for best results.

Your static gap may have been running at a low break-rate, and
the coil may want to see that low break-rate.  If you have limited
power available (because of the ballast) it is possible that 100
BPS is the max. suitable break-rate.  The coil may now require
a completely different amount of ballasting to match the new
parameters.  You'll probably need much less ballasting, maybe
only one-tenth as much.  A smaller ballast might get things going
with the higher break-rate and more series gaps.

Just some thoughts,

John Freau