[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Update: Coil powering sonmething

Hello John, Martin, Cabbott, all,

After reading JHC´s last post (he wrote: "everytime a coiler lights a
fluorescant
lamp near a Tesla coil he...") I now can see where the confusion arises.

Im my post I was talking about a normal filament light bulb and NOT a
fluorescant lamp !! True, a fl-light will glow because of the ionized gas
inside (which is why you can use a dead lamp). You don´t even need to
be holding the lamp. If it is standing on a grounded surface, this is
sufficient
to let the fl-light glow. However, my experiment was done with a normal light
bulb and the only way you can get the filament to glow (aside from inductive
heating) is by passing a current through it. The important thing, when
conducting
the experiment is to make sure the coil does NOT emit sparks from the top. I
have noted (during my experiments) that as soon as sparks start breaking
out, it
is impossible to get the bulb to light. I said in my original post that
this was possibly
one of the reasons why Tesla wanted to use such a large topload on his big
coil.
A sparking coil seems to be a poor radiating antenna.

Of course, the setup with 200W into the coil and only being able to light a
25W
bulb (I didn´t try lighting more bulbs of the same wattage, but if I
used a 40 W
incandesent  bulb instead of the 25W, I barely got it to glow) is terribly
ineffiecent, but this was not the point of my mail. I just wanted to say
you CAN
indeed power simple (electrically speaking) things with a Tesla coil

I hope this now clears up all the confusion.

RWB>JHC and C.S.

John, Cabbott

The two pictures I sent you (privately) show the 2" coil setup and the
coil actually lighting the bulb. I´m sorry, that the lower picture is
slightly
fuzzy, but I took it with the camera in my hand and no flash (otherwise
you wouldn´t have seen the bulb glowing) The streamers you see, are
coming from the antenna (see 1st picture) going to the bulb.They do NOT
connect to the coil´s topload, tho. If (once) they connect to the
secondary
the light obviously goes out. The pictures are physically (not kb wise)
large,
so that you can see I am not cheating in any way.

BTW: This coil is a quick and dirty build-up (to test things) and does NOT
represent my 8" coil setup in any way!! John, I believe I sent you a few
pictures of my 8" coil a while ago.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard