From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 1999 12:21 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: caps an the resonant freq.

Original Poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 2/10/99 4:24:02 AM EST, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
 well I am reading the articals in the arcives about caps, and I read some
 people are using .06" poly, or it reads 6 mill poly, my question is, is it
 hundreths of an inch or thousands that i should look for I got 2 sheets of
 hdpe of .03" thickness and I just want to make sure that I am not wasting
my
 time building the caps with the wrong thickness of plastic, the other
 question, I have is a simple one but I can not find it on the web sites at
 least not yet, the resonant freq. that you base your calculations on for
the
 cap, is it the iductance of the primary or the secondary, or a combo of
 both..... I find some answers but there not clear, I have built some coils
 in the past but i did not have the background to do the math not I have the
 background I want to do math and see how close I can get to what I am
 calculating.

 kerry

Kerry,

Two sheets of .030" thick ldpe or hdpe is what you want - depending on the
desired operating voltage of course.  In my opinion, two sheets of .030" is
good for about 9 kv ac maximum.  Three sheets are good for 12 kv operation.
You first calculate the resonant frequency of the secondary using its
inductance, self capacitance and the added capacitance of the top load
(toroid).  Now you calculate the resonant frequency of a primary coil and
cap
to match the secondary frequency.

Ed Sonderman