[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - Myths

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Geeez. I've been going around telling everyone about his lightning spark
> record that has yet to be beaten. I've just started reading CSN- so far
> all I've seen reference to is 30'-35' sparks. Thanks for setting me
> straight.

As far as long free air sparks go, the Les Renardiers group in France
and the Soviets have both made very long air sparks (>100meters) with a
variety of impulse generators in the multi megavolt range. Once you get
above 3 or 4 MV, there really isn't any limit to the spark length,
assuming you have the stored energy to keep the spark propagating.

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213