[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wire Joining?

Hello Michael

>Original Poster: "Coiler" <mycroft-at-access1-dot-net>
>
>Here's the scoop.. I found myself a wonderful form.. 18.5" x 60"
>Just perfect to wind with some 18AWG for a monster coil.. except...
>Finding 5000+ feet of unbroken wire is proving to be a problem. How do
>you monster coil winders handle this? I could solder the connection, but
>I wonder about the resistance induced, as well as the "bump" that just
>asks for breakout.

Hmm,
I could get that length from my wire source (a transformer / motor rewinding
company). The largest spools they have are 22.5kg (~50lbs). I used 4.5kg of
AWG "19.5" for my coil. This was about 700m (2300ft). Just taking an
educated guess this would be around 12kg for your 5000ft of AWG 18.

As to soldering, how about this:

Take the ends of the copper wire and hammer them slightly flat (donīt squash
em to newspaper thickness, just flatten them a little). You could even use
sandpaper to remove half of the wire diameter from each wire piece.

Now you can solder one above the other and end up with a joint only slightly
thicker than the original AWG 18 wire. After making the soldering joint,
take a fine toothed file and smooth out any sharp points. If you coat your
coil so that you canīt feel the ridges between the wire, then you wonīt have
any problems.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard