[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

> "Actually, once you get the wave propagating, the loss is pretty low.
> The ELF
> systems for sub communications run around 15 kHz carrier frequency and
> have
> remarkably low path loss. However, they put a megawatt into the antenna
> radiate about a milliwatt.."
>
>         There's a message there somewhere.  The antennas are incredibly
> inefficient, as must be any antenna with dimensions small with respect
> to a wavelength.
>
> Ed

I agree here Ed. To quote Tesla from his Colorado Springs notes " Much
attention will be devoted to this part of the problem in perfecting the
machines which are necessary for the successful carrying out of the
projects of transmitting power as well as effecting communication with
any point irrespective of distance. But the machines for these two
purposes will necessarily differ in design, since in one case - the
first - a great amount of energy is imperatve, while in the other only a
high electromotive force and immense rate of momentery energy delivery
is required."

Tesla never assumed that intelligent communication and wireless power
transmission were the same animals. Quite the opposite. I think we miss
it if we try to compare what's currently known in radio transmission to
what Tesla was trying to accomplish in Wardencliff.

Any comments welcome on this fascinating subject.
Bob V