[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: another pole pig query

   Microwave transformers, in my experience, serve quite well as
reactance's. I used 6, 3 in each 240 volt leg in my Pole Pig 5kVa system.
The primaries of each 3 xfmr sub-bank were wired in parallel. The two
sub-banks were then inserted into each leg of the 240V line. You can very
current limiting over a surprisingly wide range by electing to short out, or
leave open the microwave secondaries. All secondaries shorted--high current,
all open--low current. Transformers can be added or subtracted from the
banks, etc.
   I was fortunate, in that I was able to obtain about 30 used Microwave
xfmrs at a very good price.
But they are available all over the place for very reasonable sums. Check
out your local appliance repair shops. I've picked up used units in fine
condition for 5 bucks.
   I pass this along because the arrangement I've described may serve as a
viable alternative to the venerable Arc Welder reactance (ballast).
   Though I've been coiling for a long time, I'm new to the list. I hope
this information is not terribly redundant, for I'm certain others have used
Mic trannies for reactance duty. Coilers are incredibly resourceful.
Dave Hartwick