[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ok, so maybe we will have plenty o' NSTs : )

> I have tested a bottle of this type with 100 kV, DC, and it didn't
> break. But this plastic deforms easily with heat, and someone said
> on this list that it is rather dissipative at RF frequencies. Add
> power, dissipation, and deformation and you will have serious
> problems.
> But has someone actually tried to make capacitors with these
> bottles?
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Yes, I have made a small bank of rolled capacitors this way.  Each one
measured out to be about     1.3 nf.  They are _extremely_ dissipative, I
was tempted to use them as foot warmers;)  After a 15min run the plastic
gets so hot that they failed with around 15kvac.  The only way I could
get them to last a while was by leaving them in the bottle shape and
making salt water caps.  The salt water kept them cool for a decent
amount of time.  Something weird about them is that the water inside
glows a eerie blue, a effect you can not see with most beer bottles.

Bryan