[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ok, so maybe we will have plenty o' NSTs : )

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Nathan Ball" <nateburg-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Nathan ...

PET   is also known as Mylar    I have given mylar the "acid" test by
placing 2 pieces from a coke bottle ( 2 liter) between the leads of a
jabobs ladder and applying the juice...    it held up nicely  it kept
the ladder from arcing... BUT  once it arced it melted the plastic
instantly ...cutting it in half like a CO2 laser...

as far as using it in capacitors     the hi Hz we attain in coiling
makes it hot , soft , melt, and die....   if you use several thin ( .01
") layers and an oil soaked enviroment ( i think the oil does all the
insulating) you can get away with using it in a LOW power coil at less
than 10 KV rms( done it ) but !!!  your construction methods MUST be
dust free     any particulate matter other than mylar and foil will mean
a DEFINATE failure....   and heres the tricky part  when you try to
clean Mylar ...  it becomes a static electricity dust magnet... any and
ALL the dust in your house will find this cleaned mylar

hmmm   a thought    the best dust collector   put it in an A/C filter
;)

as far as  52KV   i dont think so    I used  5 sheets of .01 for a total
of .05 ( with oil ) and still developed holes and carbon spots in my
caps with 2 15KV/30 NSTs   total of  15KV -at- 60mA...   I'll let the math
wizards figure out the Joules, watts, etc.

:)

Scot D