[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC

Hi Jason,

	Some door knob caps can be used and some can't.  Most are made for DC
filtering and don't like RF.  There are true high power doorknob caps out
there but there price is super high (like $100 each).  All Tesla coil caps
we talk of are full AC rated caps.

MMCs do not use door knob caps but use fairly common polypropylene caps.
By stringing them together in series you can get high voltages and by
paralleling them you can get high current ratings.  Most people use a 1/2
watt 10Meg ohm resistor across each cap for safety (drains it quickly) and
it keeps the voltages balanced across the long strings.

MMCs do not have to be over rated.  Your 15kV transformer will peak at
around 21kV and that is all you need to rate MMCs for.  We have run MMCs
well beyond the safe point with great results, so they are not nearly as
fragile as older caps.  In fact, if a cap in an MMC shorts it will self
heal and still be as good as new (a wonderful trick the cap manufacturers
came up with).  Poly caps actually fail at about 2.5 times their voltage
rating.

Since MMCs have many strings, it is easy to select as many as needed to get
different capacitance values.

Here are a few pages that detail their construction.  There are many more
but these are the ones I had handy:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/MMCPower4.html

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/ltr/

http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/mmc_cap.htm