[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Induction heating in toroid / short circuit of secondary

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the thoughts.

The problem with filament lamps is
 they respond to average current (power).

The TC puts out huge peak short duration power. (my arc's <400nS 20-100A)
One bang would not have sufficient average power to light the lamp.
(those TC's that do, get higher avg power via high bang rate)

Especially w/my battery powered manual controlled
 single shot DC TC I use for instrumented measurement.

It produces one 28" point to point power arc once every ~3 to 5 sec's !
but consumes <1 watt from the battery !

My interest in the topload is more on its influence to the fields,
mechanisms and dynamics involved in the shielding process
(eliminating corona, inner turn arcing, etc.)
And the seeming in-different affect between use of
  open (aiding/opposing turn) and
  shorted turn toroid's.
though consumption of power is surely an indicator
 (like the spark between open ends)
especially in my implementation
  examining each individual power arc.

Being a Ham myself I've use many an incandescent as a cheap dummy load.
Be aware that tungsten filaments have a very nonlinear resistance, (10X?)
being very low when cold, increasing rapidly as they heat up !

LED's may have potential for this application.
 They are fast,
 our eyes posing the limit re: poor intensity judgement,
 but could be a valued window as to what's going on in there.

Regards, Dale,  K3MNN