[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wire

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: MDip894456-at-aol-dot-com
>
> what kind of wire do u use to connect the different components together in a
> 12Kv, 60mA Tesla Coil?????????????
For all of the connections between the transformer and the tank circuit,
GTO wire works really well.  This is the wire that is specifically used
for neon signs, and usually is rated at or over 15kv.  There are three
common types.

1.Silicon with shield.  This has two layers, a thin layer of silicon
with a layer of hard rubber over that.  Pros: durable, good dielectric
strength.  Cons: stiff, expensive, can be a pain to strip the ends, as
sometimes the silicon gets in between the individual strands of the
wire.

2.The grey stuff:  kinda rubbery, I think it's silicon.  It is a little
thinner than the two layered one.  Pros: flexible, easy to work with.
Cons:  not as durable as above.

3.The black stuff:  Real soft, almost springy, flexible enough to wrap
around your finger.  Pros:  cheaper, more flexible, easy to work with.
Cons:  I know some lighting guys, and they say that it can arc through
at rated voltage.  Durability is also not as good.

SO, if you can get some gto, use it.  If you plan to move your stuff
around a lot, go with the good strong stuff (1).  If you want to make it
easy to work with, get the grey stuff (2).  If all you can get is the
black stuff, get it.  The only time that it would be preferable though
is if you need to do your wires in tight spaces.  If you can do without
the extra flexibility, pick one of the others.  But if not, use it, it
still works!

Jason Raycroft