[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Inductive Kick back => safety gaps?

An afterthought to the subject:

What is the protection then to prevent these dangerous sparks?  I've heard
the term "crowbar" before, is this what the are for?  It would make sense to
me to use some sort of a spark gap or a high voltage cap in the line, that
way when you go to throw the Big Switch the induced surge can jump to ground
rather than your hand...  As a newcomer to the sport, I've found lots of the
stuff to be way over my head as far as coiling.

So this message is basically an exercise in guessing.  I've never used a
safety gap or witnessed the use of a safety gap in TC construction.  The
exception not the rule, I've heard people mention their "SG" or safety gap
before...  of course as newcomers it can be difficult to better understand
these concepts without talking to someone about it.

Thanks and happy holidays,

Joel Hinchman