[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Induction heating in toroid / short circuit of secondary

Dale-

I'll intersperse a few comments.

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:15:18 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: Dale Hall <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>
>
>1.) In pointing out open Vs closed toroids:
>  Behavior, i.e. max point to point power arc achievable,
>  corona, spurious Sec arcing, etc.
>  remained Unchanged !
>
>Your comment infers it is the EM field that is responsible.
>
>So why is there no change when I Open the toroid ? (& vice versa?)
>  I keep the open end distance great enough such there is No arcing.
>    (except when specifically testing for sparks between the open
>ends)
>    (so there is no shorted turn via arc conduction in the major
>axis)
>  The toroid is just a large ROC top secondary turn,
>  aiding or opposing, with no discernable difference in TC
>performance;
>
>or could the minor 8" dia shorted portion create an EM field ?

As I say, I think it likely that either 1) the secondary's EM field, at
the top, is fairly weak or 2) a good part of that field, repelled by the
self-generated field of the shorted turn, merely passes around between
the top of the coil and the toroid instead of passing through the toroid.
 In either case, the secondary's total field is negligibly changed.

>  Thats why I question EM Vs ES field influence.
>
>  From my tests, I would conclude the whole effect is ES.
>  Same max ppArc, same corona inhibition, eliminates turn to turn
>arcs, etc.
>  The shorted turn EM fails to alter any operating characteristic,
>perceivable.

If you mean by ES, electro-static field, I don't think there is one:
"static", after all, means "standing still".  That is, a bunch of
electrons just sitting there.  Not so, in a t.c.  But I'm sure you mean
the more general <electric field<, in which case, I don't see how such a
field (from the toroid, presumably) is going to affect the secondary
much.  (But the electric field--I assume from the secondary--surely
affects the fluorescent lights in my workshop: those 8' tubes blink
brightly with every "bang".)

>2.) I use the largest possible toroid to intentionally
>    inhibit spontaneous breakout, permitting my control
>    to place a projection of sufficient length and ideally
>    cone shaped to a sharp point for field concentration,
>    encouraging maximum charge accumulation & concentration per bang
>    in the topload Capacitance before unleashing its stored energy as
>    as a singular optimal power discharge
>    possessing maximum length & brightness (pk current)

Well put!

>    Selection of a smaller ROC to optimize multiple breakout
>    is the more typical coiler objective.
>
>3.) While R in a toroid shorted turn may be very low,
>    in the presence of an intense EM field
>    Current is verrrry high (kA's) then so it the power
>       unless as proposed the toroids EM field is able to squash
>       down the opposing field without wasting significant energy.
>         which is hard to accept (no free lunch)

That verrrry high current will, of course, produce a verrrry high
counter-magnetic field.

>    That's why I checked for arc production between the open ends,
>    to check for significant induction.
>    Ends arced, so it appears there is !
>         or can you present another mechanism responsible ?

That might offer a handy way to check for t.c. power output:  Just insert
a meter there!  Or better still--try connecting a meter across the
diameter of the toroid, measuring the voltage there.  Or maybe a few LEDs
or even a little battery-operated LCD panel meter suitably rectified.
Endless possibilities!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.