[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring static gap BPS

In a message dated 12/22/99 6:47:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Has anyone found an easy way to measure the firing rate of a static gap?
>  I'm sure there's a way to devise some sort of optical or inductive pickup
>  with a low-pass filter and limiter, and feed this into a frequency counter.
>  But rather than re-invent the wheel, I thought I'd ask if someone else has
>  done this.
>
>  Regards, Gary Lau
>  Waltham, MA USA

Gary,

If you use a scope and a pick up loop, with the coil running, you should see
the large spikes as the gap fires, followed by the decreasing amplitude
signals as the gap quenches.  Like maybe three to six oscillations at the
resonant frequency.  If you slow the time base down, there should be groups
of these gap firings and the distance apart should be the firing rate - I
would think, unless I have missed something here.  I don't have a scope at
home so have not tried it.  I really would like to see exactly what speed my
rotary is running at too.

Ed Sonderman