[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Series or Parallel resonant ? ( was: New pics and scope waveforms)

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:12:41 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

>  Original Poster: Dale Hall <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>
>
>  Hi Malcom and All listening,
>
>  Oops, I stand corrected,
>  brain was thinking generator perspective, spoke LC perspective :(
I dont quite understand all of this, but have identified an error below.
>  Malcom correctly states (re-phrased),
>  at resonance for both Series and Parallel excited generator modes
>   circulating LC current is maximum producing maximum voltage at Xc=XL.
>   Line current, i.e. from generator source, is opposite.
>
>  Series resonance:
>  1.) defined as the Freq where XL=Xc, only 1 freq meets this.
>  2.) Current source generator drive is a lowZ in Series w/LC.
>  The Generator passes the high series circulating current, adding energy.
>  XL=Xc cancel and generator internal resistance adds to
>   inductors Rdc and Cap ESR.
>  Since the generator is in series providing new current plus passing
>  circulating current,
>   the voltage across LC is limited only by the ability of the
>   generator to source current via low internal impedance (else lower Q) or
>   less than infinite Q due to losses (load producing parallel resistance
>   which can be transformed to represent equivalent series resistance).
>
>  Parallel resonance:
>  1.) defined as
>      a.) minimum generator current,
>      b.) maximum impedance, or
>      c.) V & I in phase

V & I are only in phase in series resonance, in parallel resonance they are
180 degrees out of phase. This is what gives its maximum impedance, the
reactive currents are almost continually opposite to the impressed voltage.
The nodal rules of amperage entering and leaving a junction apply, and it is
the instantaneous DIFFERENCE of reactive currents on each branch that is the
measured input amperage, which is q times less than the actual circulating
tank circuit, hence the term, resonant rise of amperage in a tank circuit
>      a., b., c., each represent separate distinct (but close) resonant

>  frequencies for Q=<10, above which the three converge to one freq.
>  Applic note: Q before spark load is likely >10, afterward <10.
>  The voltage across LC is supplied by the parallel generator.
>
>  2.) is modeled as a Voltage source in parallel i.e. across LC.
>  LC Reactance is highest at resonance, diminishing before and after.
>  So, generator source line current is highest either above or below Fres.
>  Approaching Fres a parallel generators source line current dips to a
minimum

>  due to rising voltage across LC as circulating current increases to max
>  (XL-Xc=0 so Igen = Vin/Rdc).
>
>  Hope I have this right now, and that it is relevant !
>
>  Regards, Dale

Hope I got it right, too. It would seem to me that the induced currents on
the secondary,similar to that on a transformer, are 180 phased as regards
its causitive source by mutual induction. Thus the currents on the secondary
are 180 out of phase with that primary current from the tank circuit. The
currents on the secondary are given an increased resonant rise of voltage
because that side of the equation is a series resonance, Not another tank
circuit. In this way we can view both the resonant rise of amperage occuring
on the tank circuit, simultaneous to a resonant rise of voltage on the
secondary.

Binary Resonant System
http://www.insidetheweb-dot-com/mbs.cgi/mb124201

Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite-dot-com
 The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season