[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Low Voltage Primary

	Hi all,

	I am interested in using low voltages for the tank circut.  If one were
to use a 240V tank circut, one would save the cost of transformers and
caps, not to mention putting immense amounts of current through the
primary coil.  (all this stemmed from reading a paragraph about "it
ain't the volts but the amps that matters").  However, plugging numbers
into wintesla gave some disappoiting numbers:  since the capacitance of
the main cap would need to be around 230 uF, the primary's resonating
frequency is very low, around 1.7 kHz.  Using standard 1/4 wavelength
calculations, this gives a secondary amounting to 13000 or so turns
(wintesla).  After admitting that a spark gap will not be easily
constructed (I have a few ideas, ranging from ionized gas to statues of
Buddha) My question is:  Is it possible to use the recommended 600-1000
turns and still get the coil in good tune since the 1/4 wavelength idea
has be disproven?  Anyone have any ideas?   Keep in mind that my
knowledge of coiling is sparse at best.

	Thanks,
	Ross