[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Dialectrics in Plate Capacitors

>  I did some calcs for flat plate cap at 60 mils
> K=2.2  Dth =.060  Area = 81sqr " X 32
Don't use 2.2 for your K, while I know that is what the books say,
reality bites :)
If you use 2.0 for K, you will find that you get to within about 5% of
your calcs. (me, I've gotten to within 1% twice)
We just can't the perfection provided by commercial construction.

And a minor editorial note:
I've seen the messages from people saying "Just forget that messy
oil stuff, and go build an MMC". I wonder about that.. I may yet
build a MMC, but I've also built SW caps, and sundry rolled/flat caps.
I've learned a great deal - and for me, at least, coiling is as much
for the learning as the sparks.
So.. when someone asks about rolling a cap, rather than squashing the
idea with "Forget it, just go the MMC route.." perhaps we could do
both: Give them the info about rolling/stacking, and mention the possibility
of the MMC.

Besides.. I can point to my caps, sitting in their transparent cases, and
say
"I did that!". Coiling is an art too.
Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd...mycroft-at-access1-dot-net
http://www.access1-dot-net/mycroft