[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tiny tesla...Geek to English translation

At 11:39 AM 12/18/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hey Nick (or anybody),
>>Could you please explain the stuff is said below?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Greg
>>
>>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> > Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com
>> >
>> > Hi Greg,
>> >            tiny tesla's are great - they are genuinely safe as the
>>frequency
>> > is so high & and they look seriously cool.
>
>The small a Tesla Coil is in physical dimentions the higher it's resonant
>frequency. Higher frequency electrical discharges and safer to play with
>becaus they follow a "Skin Effect". Skin effect is the tendency for a
>electrical charge to flow along the surface of it's conductor instead of
>going through the middle. When you increase the frequency of a charge high
>enough you don't even need a wire anymore and can use a sort of pipe. It's
>called a Waveguide and the charge bounces around inside it, it's literally
>like a pipe for electricity.
>
>Because of the Skin Effect, when you come in contact with the output of a
>Tesla Coil (under the proper conditions) you are totally safe. You can do
>amazing things (Check out Brent Turner) and not get hurt. Because the charge
>never penetrates your skin.
>However, if you try it with lower frequency power....like your wall socket,
>you will die quickly.

I should mention that last year we had a series of post under the general
heading of "dummy load" (se the archives at www.pupman-dot-com).  I think it
was determined that in the case of the human body, the skin effect that we
know so well in metallic conductors did not really apply.  The RF currents
do actually run right through the center of a person favoring blood vessels
and other low resistance paths.  So Tesla coils can sort of "cook" you.
However, the high frequencies do not stimulate nerves so there is no
sensation associated with the RF currents (unless they start to burn your
flesh - major pain!!).  So you really do get zapped but you don't know it.
Personally I don't recommend paying with the output arcs.  Many people have
noticed numbness and joint pain after playing with arcs which is an
indicator that you have played too much...  Also, there are a number of
other safety issues involved.  Please check the archives and be very carful
and know what you are doing before "connecting" yourself to these machines!!

Cheers,

	Terry