[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Dialectrics in Plate Capacitors

The dielectric requirements all depend upon how large you want your arcs and
how far you open up your gap.  I killed two rolled poly caps with a 15/60
NST.  The first one used a single .08" dielectric, the second used two .04"
dielectrics in series, both were in oil and the 2x.04" units were vacuum
pumped prior to oil.  Both had 1.5" margins.  Do not try to economize with
smaller margins.  High voltage will surface-track over far greater distances
than an air breakdown, and I doubt silicone will adhere well enough to make
a difference.

Do yourself a favor and forget home-made poly caps, and build an MMC.

Regards, Gary Lay
Waltham, MA USA