[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: V-27 tube coil: latest results

Hello,

This is a interesting thing about CW (at least tube based, in my
experience), to get really high voltage (long sparks!) you must have a
sharp breakout point extending several inches from the coil, or coil and
top C. Now, I have obtained spark breakout from a "relatively" smooth
toroid, but only with extremely nasty kickbacks to the tubes (some sparking
between plates and filament/grid) or back to the transformer. I cannot see
any reason to use a toroid in a CW (tube) coil except for a corona shield
and/or to assist with tuning (I use it for both), only use a protruding
breakout point.

Question: So, why do we have such a different response with CW -vs-
Disruptive coils (spark gap...)? Any body ever try to determine the voltage
of CW coils? I doubt a spark length comparison with disruptive coils would
be very close...

Regards,

David Trimmell